Project Overseas is a joint venture of the Canadian Teachers' Federation (CTF) and its provincial and territorial affiliates. CTF sends volunteer teachers to developing countries, mostly in Africa and the Caribbean, to conduct professional development in-service for their colleagues in those countries. Destinations are based on requests from the teachers’ unions overseas.
Projects usually take place in July and August. CTF requires that applicants be Canadian citizens, have at least five years teaching experience in Canada, and be a member of a CTF affiliate. More information, including a history of the program can be found in the 2018-19 brochure.
There is a need for teachers with a background in literacy acquisition, peace education, the core subject areas of english, math, science and social studies, and a particular need for teachers with a background in special education.
Registration for 2018-19 is now open. Applications are due no later than November 1, 2018, and can be sent in confidence to the email@example.com.
If you have questions regarding your application please contact:
Professional Development Department
(416)-925-2493 Ext. 477
In order for your application to be considered, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a member of a provincial or territorial teacher organization that supports Project Overseas
- Hold a valid teachers’ certificate
- Have completed at least five years of teaching in Canada by July 2019
- Be a Canadian citizen
- Be in excellent health and able to work in developing country conditions (a doctor’s letter is required)
- Show evidence of flexibility, mature judgement, and a strong willingness to put the team and project needs above personal needs
- Hold a Canadian passport valid until at least July 2020, at the time of application (proof that a passport application has been made will be accepted).
How to Apply