Project Overseas is a joint venture of the Canadian Teachers' Federation (CTF) and its provincial and territorial affiliates. CTF sends volunteer teachers to developing countries, mostly in Africa and the Caribbean, to conduct professional development in-service for their colleagues in those countries. Destinations are based on requests from the teachers’ unions overseas.
There is a need for teachers with a background in literacy acquisition, peace education, the core subject areas of english, math, science and social studies, and a particular need for teachers with a background in special education.
Projects usually take place in July and August. In order for your application to be considered, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a member of a provincial or territorial teacher organization that supports Project Overseas
- Hold a valid teachers’ certificate
- Have completed at least five years of teaching in Canada by July 2020
- Be a Canadian citizen
- Be in excellent health and able to work in developing country conditions (a doctor’s letter is required)
- Show evidence of flexibility, mature judgement, and a strong willingness to put the team and project needs above personal needs
- Hold a Canadian passport valid until at least July 2021, at the time of application (proof that a passport application has been made will be accepted).
How to Apply
Registration for 2019-20 is now open. Applications are due no later than November 1, 2019. To apply online click here or download your application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions regarding your application please contact:
Bargaining & Contract Services Department
(416)-925-2493 Ext. 517
More information, including a history of the program can be found in our resources below.