TORONTO, ON – Teachers and education workers only learned of the provincial government’s decision to delay school re-opening when it was announced this afternoon.
Nevertheless, as representatives of those on the front lines in schools – that is, those teaching Ontario students and providing the vital services that support their education – our collective message remains the same: schools can be made safe for students and staff, with sufficient investment in the right tools and measures.
We will continue to call for
- regular asymptomatic testing in schools
- robust testing and tracing system
- prioritizing boosters for all staff in schools
- smaller class sizes to increase physical distancing
- improved ventilation
- masking for all staff and students
- adequate PPE for all staff
- a provincial cleaning standard for schools
- more staffing to carry out the additional work that these measures would entail